If You Need to Get Away: Bahamas Paradise Cruise from Groupon


Image from Groupon.com
Soooooo let me start this off by stating that I am a cruise fanatic. I have cruised Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and Princess. This wasn't even my first trip to the Bahamas -  I actually visited Paradise Island about 4 months before my January 2016 trip.
Previous promotion for Bahamas Paradise on Groupon
This adventure begins with me purchasing this Groupon for my mother as a part of her Christmas gift. The deal was for an Ocean View room for 2 people for $189 for a two-day cruise out of West Palm Beach. Not a bad rate at all. I figured I could find her and my Pop and cheap flight for their quick cruise. However, once other family members learned about this deal it quickly turned into a family vacation. Six of us total - myself included.

I was in charge of booking for four of us. Two people booked separately but were told they would be across the hall from us. We were fine with that. We figured we'd all be in the same vicinity. I was told while trying to book that I would have to pay the taxes upfront. Pretty sure it was a term on my Groupon voucher, so I wasn't terribly surprised. It was over $200 for 4 people. Also, I was told we would be responsible for paying $12 per person per day for gratuity - but that would be charged at the end of the cruise.

As our sail date neared I got antsy because I didn't receive a confirmation email. I called and had to request one to be sent. I also used their online check-in feature which was supposed to speed up the process of boarding. 
Image from Lindsay K. Yelp Review
Image from Anna P. Yelp Review
The ship leaves out of the Port of West Palm Beach - so the six of us taxi over from the airport. Upon seeing the boat nobody was impressed lol. The Grand Celebration is an old Carnival Ship so I wasn't looking for glitz or glamour. When we arrived we walked right up to check-in. We fill out a credit card authorization form to open onboard accounts, but you also have the option to open an account with cash. We also received our dinner reservations in the Stellar Prime. This this the main dining room in which you can have dinner and breakfast at no extra charge.
Welcome Aboard Drink
Image from Gladys D. Yelp Review
The inside of the ship looked dated, but it smelled okay for the most part and looked clean. The rooms were not ready by the time we boarded so we were told to go to the Lido Deck for lunch at the buffet. It is a fairly small area, but tidy. Several salad options, hummus, fish dishes, chicken...ect. Fruit punch, lemonade, and tea are included. Sodas are extra. There are bars everywhere if you want a drink. Alcoholic beverages averaged $9.00 each but there were drink specials for $6.50. 
My actual view from my cabin window once in the Bahamas
Image from Ericka C. Yelp Review
The rooms were a decent size. The beds were pushed together but I was sharing the room with a family member so that was fine. Comfortable bed but the pillows had seen better days. We had an ocean view room, but the window was very high up so you couldn't see anything if you were laying down. A few surfaces were a tad dusty, but the room was clean for the most part. My room didn't have any washcloths so I had to call and ask for some. I saw my room steward on the last day of the trip for the first time.

I usually travel with my parents (they are seniors) and most cruises tend to pull an older crowd (I'm talking 50 and over). This was definitely the most youthful ship I've ever been on. Lots of young couples and families with children. Very diverse group of ethnicities aboard the ship too.  
Image from Ryan F. Yelp Review
We enjoyed the staff for the most part. The bartenders are very good. I hung around the Encore most of my trip so I had lots of fun with bartenders Devon and Roy! I wasn't very thrilled with my server in the Stellar Prime. I also thought the food there was a hit or miss. In terms of food, we were modestly satisfied. Pizza was fine. Chicken burgers were pretty good. Offerings at the buffet were decent at best (as long as you knew the correct times to go). The grill station closes early but the buffet is open late. The bars also stay open crazy late. Their motto is "were open as long as you're drinking". I had insomnia the first night and I was super surprised to see that this boat was still going strong at 2AM! People still hanging around the blackjack tables, the club was popping and people were still drinking at the bar. Many cruises get quiet after midnight - but people came on this trip to PARTY. That being said I had a blast!

My experience at the spa was fantastic. I had a full body scrub and massage. It was an hour-long service and cost $97. Still cheaper than a full body scrub and massage at a spa at home so I considered it a deal. I had a fantastic esthetician/therapist. She was very nice and asked me specific questions about sources of tension and preferred pressure. 


Overall, this was a fun trip for my entire family. Cruise entertainment was standard yet fun. Karaoke and game shows like the "Not So Newly Wed" Game and "Adult Scavenger Hunt" were a hit with the family. My parents and I went to the 50's dance party (they are dancing in the video above) and they had a great time! I also won $200 playing Jackpot Bingo.

In my opinion, if you need to get away, and aren't terribly picky you might have fun on a Bahamas Paradise Cruise. Just keep in mind the extra fees and bring your passport for an easier onboarding experience.

Would you ever try a cruise via Groupon or another deal site?

This is not an endorsed post. I used my own money to pay for this trip. Please note, various photos were sourced from Yelpers as I no longer have many photos from this trip any longer.

Comments