Up for Debate: Macaroni & Cheese at "The Cookout"


In this the year of our Lord, 2018, in these 50 nifty United States - American families will bring in Independence Day today. As we speak, someone's mama is standing in line at Costco with a shopping cart full of ribs and hotdogs.

This celebration has always been bittersweet for me as an African American woman. Historically, my ancestors were not made "independent" by the Declaration of Independence. For that reason, I and countless black folks across the country simply refer to the holiday as "The Fourth of July".

Will Smith aka The Fresh Prince stunts at a cookout, plate in tow

The Fourth of July is the Super Bowl/World Cup/World Series of cookouts for black families. It is the opportunity to celebrate togetherness and community all the while serving up enough palate-pleasing food to feed an entire army.

This brings me to the actual menu. I've been taught by the finest home cooks in my family including my Mom, aunties, and older sister - that you MUST have certain staples at cookouts including heaping mounds of grilled meats, some steamed seafood option like crabs, as well as plentiful sides. We rarely deviate from macaroni salad, a cold pasta salad, potato salad, fresh fruit (like ice cold watermelon), and sweet and delicious barbecue baked beans. 

However, my fiance sent me into a tailspin this weekend when he said his family has...


MACARONI AND CHEESE?????

I took to Facebook as quickly as my fingers would carry and posed the question to my friends and family.

I was shocked at the responses...

Many were aghast at my line of questioning:


Some folks preferred to have all sides at their cookout...INCLUDING macaroni & cheese:



A few folks were team #NoMacaroni (like me!):




But most of my friends couldn't believe I would ever suggest that macaroni & cheese is an inappropriate cookout food. They even went as far as to say it is the universal side dish:



It even ruined a friendship or two:


After examining all sides of this debate, I needed a professional to weigh in. I turned to top family chef and spiritual advisor - my Mama - for her discernment.


And there you have it -- The Queen has SPOKEN. Though not a traditional cookout dish - feel free to do you this summer and partake of some cheesy, golden brown delight!

I am happy to report that I will NOT be having macaroni and cheese at my next cookout and my fiance and I are still engaged despite this critical disagreement.

Will you be serving macaroni & cheese this 4th of July? Share your thoughts in the comments!

Comments