If You Need to Get Away: Lewes, Dewey, & Rehoboth Beach

While I love the joy and fulfillment that comes with working for non-profit organizations, I understand how difficult it can be to make the time (and save the money) necessary to travel frequently. That being said, when my fiance and I wanted to have a quick beach vacation and save a bit of loot in the process - I took it as a challenge! In 2017, we visited the Rehoboth Beach area for the first time and have been itching to get back ever since!

The boo and I packed up the car on a Thursday afternoon in late April and started our pilgrimage to Deleware. The traffic was a mess all the way there but with great tunes and even better company, we arrived just in time for check-in. I'd heard many positive things about Dewey Beach, and decided to book at Beach House Dewey using Groupon.




This is a motel with an updated, boutique-light look. The rooms are fairly spacious with modern furnishings, but none of the rooms have a beach or ocean view. Unfortunately, we had issues with the cleanliness of the room and found ants/sticky surfaces throughout our trip. For a King room, we paid $275 for Thursday-Sunday with our Groupon deal. Considering, I felt this was reasonable, but only because it was the off-season. The rates nearly triple moving into the summer, and I definitely feel it isn't worth it. I likely wouldn't stay there again. You can read my full review of Dewey Beach House on Yelp by clicking here.



Dewey Bayside view (gorgeous sunset from a gazebo)
Despite this disappointment, we lucked out on being right in the heart of Dewey. The hotel was a minute walk to the beach, 5-minute walk to the bay, and also convenient to restaurants, shops, and a trolly stop. 

The locals in Dewey are wonderful. We got a taste of the community when visiting the Dewey Beach Community Yard Sale. It was a great time, and we bought some fun items! 


Maxing & Relaxing on the beach behind our hotel
We thoroughly enjoyed our lazy time during the trip. The beach behind our hotel in Dewey was pretty nice! We napped under our umbrella and listened to music for hours. However, the ocean is still pretty cold in the spring! You've been warned!
Cape Henlopen beach tide
Cape Henlopen beach
Further research on the best beaches in the area took us to Cape Henlopen in Lewes the following day. Because the beach is federal parkland, it is clean and well-maintained. There is a very clean bathroom/changing area and ample parking. My fiance is in the military so entry was free for us! General admission is $10 a day per out of state car. Go early to snag a good spot!

Cape Henlopen also offers a picnic pavilion, golf course, basketball courts, and hiking trails. If you do go, consider making a day of it!



We saved a great deal of money on food and drinks by packing our daily breakfast and lunch, juice, bottled water, and even a MINI BAR (courtesy of my fiance). We only ate out twice. One of the restaurants we did have the pleasure of trying was Woody's East Coast Bar & Grill. It is about a 5-minute walk from Dewey Beach House. 



My look of general concern - playing wheel of shots game

Woody's easily offers the best crab cakes in Dewey (and the top 5 crab cakes I've ever had!). They also offer fast service, great bartenders, and a wheel of shots! You can read my review of the experience here on Yelp.
Image from Trip Advisor
We ended our weekend getaway slinking down the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk. Though beautiful and peaceful, it was very cold and windy our last day. Bae wasn't feeling it (lol). Still - I had a great time and I look forward to going back! We stopped by Fisher's Popcorn to snag some caramel corn for the ride home.

If you need to get away - and hope to feel a bit of sand between your toes - the Lewes, Dewey, and Rehoboth Beach areas just might be worth your time and hard earned bucks. I've been to Ocean City a few times, and I feel that in comparison - there is more for adults/couples to enjoy. My fiance and I actually have our next trip there planned for July! Look out for an update post!

This is not an endorsed post. I used my own money to pay for this trip!

Which nearby beach is your favorite to visit during the summer?

Comments