Adventures in Grouponing: Blue Dyer Distilling

About a month back I purchased a "rainy day" Groupon for Blue Dyer Distilling. This is one of my favorite practices. When I get paid, I often put a few dollars toward my activity fund. I usually purchase a couple of affordable Groupons for local experiences and save them for when I feel the urge to get out and explore.

In this case, my bestie and I were in need of a Sunday Funday destination. I figured it was an awesome opportunity to try out Blue Dyer. After many years of living in Southern Maryland, I was very excited to see a distillery adjacent to my hometown! Plus, my bestie loves a good whiskey so it was definitely a good fit for both of us.



When we first entered the distillery, we were greeted warmly by Spike. We tasted our first spirit of the day, a surprisingly smooth and "smokey" dark rum.





Afterward, we took a tour of the distillery where we learned more about the history of the business and its operation.


Blue Dyer Distilling is the brainchild of Ryan Vierheller, Maryland local and (quite frankly), molecular chemist. His business pays homage to spirit making techniques passed through his family for generations. From the reclaimed wood tabletops throughout the establishment to the locally sourced ingredients, it is clear Blue Dyer prides itself on quality and craftsmanship.




Following the tour, we went back to the tasting room to test the gin, whiskey, and rum. Let's just say I felt warm and ready for fun by the last sip. The bestie and I hung around for a long time chatting with Ryan and Spike and learning more about spirit distilling and more sites along the Southern Maryland Spirit Trail.

This experience was not only fun and educational - it was a great value too! I only paid $15.50 for a spirit tasting and tour for two. We also received two souvenir low ball glasses.

Overall, I had a great Sunday Funday hanging around Blue Dyer Distilling. I look forward to going back with a larger group of friends!

Do you have a favorite local distillery, brewery, or winery? Leave a tip for me in the comments and I will be sure to pay them a visit!


Comments